Addiction Alert

I have a confession: I am an addict. I didn't know that I was an addict until I came to Korea.
The day I discovered my problem was a Thursday in 2008. It was my off-period and I had been wandering around in the street. A big yellow and blue sign caught my eye: "Dream Depot", it said. My first thought was to walk away but, though my head was screaming, my feet kept moving towards the big glass doors... The summer humidity was at its peak and I felt a sense of relief as I entered under the air-con's fabricated breeze.

I took a few deep breaths and then... I saw it: Stickers. Hundreds of stickers. Alphabet stickers, Hangul stickers, bumpy plastic stickers, colourful felt stickers, stickers of popstars, cute animation stickers, stickers with speech bubbles. Gold stickers, silver stickers... I started sweating and my heart started beating. Before I realized what I was doing, I grabbed a basket and filled it up with stickers, coloured paper, traditional tissue paper, paint, brushes, glue, stamps and tape. I even went back for ribbons and embellishments.

Walking back to school, I carried three bags filled with goodies and my wallet felt a lot lighter (That part was just my imagination, because I paid with my card...)

I realized I might have a problem. Frequent follow-up visits to Dream Depot (and its even bigger friend Naramungu) confirmed this. Even being on a strict budget hasn't helped the problem. The only way for me to avoid buying, is to avoid the shops. I guess this problem will solve itself when I go back to South Africa, but then I have the scrapbooking shops to worry about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Sm)All-things Sundays: Meet Molly

10 things foreign guys should know.