Gwangalli Beach: A soul search

2010 was one of my worst years ever. At the end of January 2011, some of my closest friends left Korea. I was heartbroken and in need of some peace, quiet and serious soul searching. Luckily there was a long weekend (Lunar New Year) at the beginning of February, so I set about trying to find a quiet and inexpensive place to go.
One of my friends has an apartment 5 minutes' walk from Gwangalli Beach in Busan. After some e-mails and a few rules being laid down, he offered to let me stay there since he was going on vacation.

Nighttime bridge.
I've only been to Gwangalli 3 times, but if I ever come back to Korea, that is where I'll want to stay.

My first introduction to Gwangalli was in August 2010. Our summer vacation had just ended and we were getting ready to say goodbye to our friend, Jackie, who would be leaving at the end of August. One night someone made a joke that we should go to Busan for her big farewell. A huge group of us traveled down and ended up at the beach. It was fabulous, the beach was all lit up and Thursday party was our bar of choice.
It was a fun night filled with adventure, laughter, fireworks and for me, it was love at first sight.

The second time I traveled to the beach, was in December 2010, when my best friend came to visit and I just had to show her how awesome it was. We lit fireworks on the beach and played in the sand.


The last time I went to Gwangalli was my weekend of soul searching. The silence was overwhelming, but the crashing of the waves was exactly what I needed to help me think about the craziness of the past year. I cried and wrote in my journal and took long walks along the shore. (Yeah, so chick flick, I know...)



Had I known it would be my last weekend there, I would have spent more time there and I would have taken more pictures. Gwangalli will always be one of my top 5 beaches, because there I found my peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.