Mart, Marter, Martest

The view from my apartment building's entrance.

What do you see when you walk out of your front door? Houses? A nice garden perhaps? Maybe a concrete wall? When I climb down two flights of stairs and I walk through the glass doors of Dream Ville Apartments, I see a 7-eleven convenience store. This in itself is not a strange thing, but when I turn left, walk the rest of the block, turn left 2 more times, I find a GS Mart right on the corner. Still not strange? Should I walk straight down that same street, for two more blocks, I'll find a Family Mart. How convenient...

What is even more convenient, is that there is a Sky Mart (a supermarket) 5 minutes away from my apartment, a Halin Mart (another supermarket) is opening across the road from the Sky Mart within the next month and tonight (while photographing all the marts) I saw that they are building a Go Mart (you guessed it, it's a supermarket) in the SAME STREET!

Around the first corner.
But wait, I am not complaining! Not at all. I love the convenience of a mart outside my door. I will miss being able to dash down quickly for some milk on a rainy Saturday morning (or some wine on a wild Saturday night.) The owner of the 7-eleven knows that I run into his mart every morning, always a bit late, grab two kimbap triangles (usually shrimp fried rice and tuna cheese) and sometimes debate for a few seconds before I pick up either a packet of instant coffee or some vitamin water. He knows that on bad days I will buy a chocolate bon-bon. He has seen me all dressed up, for a night on the town and he has seen me tired and red, coming from the gym. And he always smiles!

You will rarely go more than 3 blocks without seeing a mart of some kind. These marts, in general, are fully equipped with an ATM, all kinds of toiletries, some stationary, snacks, fast meals, alcohol, juice, water and soda, paper plates and cups, cigarettes and, on the outside, tables and chairs for that summer soju that is loved and enjoyed by all.

Around the next corner.

Today I am appreciating the marts of Korea. Their convenience has cost me many a 1000 won, but who's counting anyway?

Making friends outside of the "Buy the Way."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.

(Sm)All-things Sundays: Meet Molly