For the love of Chicken

I like chicken. I like it in stews and on bread and in pasta. I especially like it fried, with chips and some sauce to dip it in. For the first 18 months of my time in Geoje I had to be satisfied with spicy fried chicken in sticky sweet sauce. No chips or side dishes. You could call it typical Korean fried chicken. If I wanted "western style" fried chicken, I had to travel to Busan (up until 5 months ago, 3 hours away by bus) for the nearest KFC and then the chicken (even the plain chicken) would be a little bit spicy. At least we'd have chips.


One night our friends at Jazz bar ordered take-away chicken from a place that had just opened two streets up. It was called "The Frypan". As usual, they invited us to eat some chicken with them. They were always trying to feed us, for some reason. It was fantastic! The chicken strips were not spicy. Soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside and perfectly complemented by the sauce (Original and sweet chili) that you could order extra. The chips are thin, curled up potato slices. I love it!!

Gohyun Frypan.
About a month after that, a KFC opened on the island. We went there once, realized we're very much over it and never went back. When the chicken craving struck, we would always go straight to the Frypan in Gohyun.
Take away chicken last Friday night for girls' night.
I am a local there now.  I go about once a week and I have introduced a lot of the other foreigners to it. Everyone agrees that Frypan chicken is the best.

In August 2010 I met a Korean girl, named Kate. Her family owns the Frypan restaurant in Okpo, our neighbouring town. She has become a very good friend and I will gladly promote her shop. She always invites us over, lets us know if there are specials and gives us the best service. If you live in Okpo, you should go visit her. Even if you don't live in Okpo, you should make the trip to support her.

Kate Kim, my good friend.
A Frypan meal is best enjoyed with friends (the plate is too big to be eaten alone) and a draft beer (Frypan sells 500ml and 700 ml draft beers for cheaper than most bars) on a Friday night. Or a Wednesday night. Or a Thursday......actually it is great any day of the week.

Today I am appreciating Frypan chicken. May the future foreigners of Geoje island become as addicted as I am.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.