The kimchi coloured sky

Last night I went running at 10:30. Not only did I need to train for my 5km race this upcoming Saturday, I also had a lot on my mind. I was busy all evening and by the time I realized I needed to run, it was well after 10pm. Unfortunately, the gym I go to closes at 10, but luckily I live in Korea. Korea is known for being "well-being" obsessed  and there are tracks and outdoor fitness equipment all over the place. So, when the desire hit, I got on my Soju Sookie, drove to the tartan track behind the Duksan apartments, put in my earphones and ran my little heart out.

I can't remember ever seeing anything like these tracks in South Africa. They're pretty neat to have around. Also, while running last night, I never once looked around me to see who was there. Neither did I, even for a second, feel unsafe or nervous or scared. Sure, there were a lot of suspicious looking characters around, but then again, if you've had the privilege (?) of seeing  a Korean hiker in full North Face gear NO-ONE will look even remotely suspicious to you ever again.
A view of the track heading away from the apartments.
 The track, behind the Duksan apartments, is 2,06km long. At the start and end points, there are big notice boards giving you some stretching exercises and all along the route you can find various pieces of equipment for a more effective workout.  It is also located next to a river, which has a very calming effect on me. At night it is lit up by several little lights and, at the halfway mark, a big electronic board with flashing green letters.
Some adjumma enjoying a late-night walk.
Today I am appreciating the tracks of Korea. I'm appreciating the tartan, the lampposts, the strange people (and their dogs) who sometimes run there, the absolute safety of it and the freedom of running whenever I feel like kicking something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.