NETworking

Prior to coming to Korea I had a Facebook profile, but rarely used it more than once a week. I knew about blogging, but I couldn't be bothered to read someone else's or write my own and any information, inspiration or interaction I needed, could be achieved by phoning a friend (or doing some guesswork.)

The main reason for this was that (at the time) internet was pretty expensive and not unlimited. For a single person, living on their own in a rented apartment and earning next to nothing, it made more sense to go to internet cafes every week or two.

Thus, when I came to Korea, a whole new world opened for me. A world filled with a variety of blogs, YouTube, Wikipedia, Streaming Radio, Free Skype calls, online shopping and 24/7 Facebook. For the first few months I just sat staring at the computer screen, while waiting for someone to update their Facebook status, just so I could comment on it. Eventually I started making use of all the other amazing things the internet has to offer. My outlook on the world has changed a lot and I have discovered new interests and hobbies, just because I had access to them!

The internet market in South Africa has changed drastically in the past 3 years and I am excited to know that I will have more access now than I had before, but...

...today I am appreciating Korea's internet. It is fast, it is furious and having it has taught me more than my few years at university ever did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.