(Sm)All-things Sundays: Meet Molly


Meet Molly. She is an orphan, a street cat, a nocturnal party animal, a kisser, a scratcher and a princess. She has separation anxiety, daddy issues, an obsession with toilet paper and a very irritating obsession with objects standing on my desk / dresser/ bedside table. Molly has been my roommate for the past 7 months and since Sundays are about being thankful for (sm)ALL things, today's post is dedicated to her.


A little less than a year ago (Sometime in March 2010, if I'm not mistaken) two of my friends, who were teaching on the island, returned home after a night out and heard a kitten meowing. At closer inspection they found this little black and white baby sitting by herself on the street, looking lost. No mommy cat, no sibling kittens. Being the softies that they are (and I mean this in a good way), they decided that she needed a home. Their apartment was out of the question, since the two of them were sharing a studio apartment, with barely enough room for them end their possessions, let alone a cat. Enter their neighbour / little brother (also an English teacher). He was living on his own in an apartment that was slightly bigger than theirs. Right at the moment the girls were debating about what to do with the kitten, he rolled up in a taxi and offered to take her in until they could find her a decent home.

As it goes with street cats, she was sick, covered in all kinds of nasty scabs, in need of vaccinations and not yet potty trained. There are quite a few very entertaining stories of her pooping on the bed. But she recovered nicely and learned how to use her sandbox like a good house-cat should.

At the end of May, 2010, I came back to Geoje-island and decided I wanted a pet. I was planning on staying in Korea for at least another two years and I was living on my own in a studio apartment. This meant that I'd have a companion and enough time to figure out how to get my pet back to South Africa when I eventually decided to go back home. I thought it through and eventually decided to adopt the kitten, named Molly.
It was one of the best decisions I've made in my time here in Korea. Even though she prevented me from sleeping for one week every 3 weeks (she's been spayed now, so at least I get more sleep). Even though she slaps things off of my desk (books, earrings, my glasses...nothing is safe)at 3am. Even though she shreds my toilet paper and I have to clean up heaps of stringy paper when I get home in the afternoons. Even though she wakes me up at 6am every day to feed her. Even though she attacks me when I'm trying to clean my apartment. Even though she does all of these things (and more), I love coming home at the end of the day and have her here, happy to see me. I love how she sleeps under the blanket with me in winter. I love how she loves me no matter what I do.

I love my Molly and I am taking her back to South Africa with me. But THAT is a post for another day.

"And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be THANKFUL." -Colossians 3:15

Comments

  1. Until one has loved an animal, a part of their soul remains unawakened. - One of the truest quotes I've ever read

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 things foreign guys should know.